Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Review of AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

Abes of Maine

Nikon's 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Lens features a fast, wide-angle to medium telephoto AF-S zoom lens optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX (23.9 x 36mm) and DX-format image sensors.


Truly a Professional Lens!

Russ Savannah, GA 7/23/2009

 

5 5

Pros: Rugged, Consistent Output, Quick Focus, Easily Interchangeable, Strong Construction, Sharp Focus, Durable

Cons: Heavy

Best Uses: Weddings and Events

Describe Yourself: Professional

I use this lens for weddings, portraits, and events on my Nikon D3 DSLR. It is tack sharp at all apertures and focal lengths, lightning fast and accurate focus, great color and contrast, waterproof, solid as a rock, and heavy.

I would recommend this to anyone using an FX camera, but I don't think the zoom range is right for DX. It won't go wide enough on DX for reception/party shots, and it's not really long enough outdoors. In my opinion, the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens is better for DX cameras than this lens, and the image quality is superb with both.

In fact, the image quality of this lens seems equal to my Nikon primes.

The only negative is the weight. After shooting all day with this lens, it takes a week for your arm muscles to stop hurting. It is hard for me to 'one-hand' shots of dancing couples with this lens due to the weight.

But this lens is exactly what you need if you are a pro or aspiring to become one. It will never be the limiting factor in delivering brilliant pro quality results.

()

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have had this lens for 7 months. In the 7 months, Nikon has had it for almost 3. The autofocus is inconsistent from shot to shot. I have sent samples to Nikon via web and printed.

r4i